The Therapies team at Hereward play a vital role in supporting the young people in our care and offer a range of therapies tailored to suit individual needs. With physiotherapy, speech and language therapy and Occupational Therapy all in one facility, learners can access support to help achieve their goals for learning, independence and leisure.
Every learner at Hereward presents differently and has different physical needs. At Hereward we tailor a physiotherapy programme specific to individual needs and goals. The physiotherapy treatments on offer help to:
- Increase muscle strength through strengthening and mobilisation exercises.
- Minimise abnormal patterns of movement through realignment and activation of muscles.
- Improve balance and mobility through assessment of different seating and mobility aids and postural reeducation.
- Increase sensation through sensory stimulation.
- Reduce muscle stiffness, spasms and pain through stretching programmes.
- Reduce the risk of falls through balancework, gait reeducation and training.
Speech and Language Therapy
Hereward offers support for all learners’ communication needs which range from speech, language, social communication, Makaton and dysphagia support. Each learner is assessed and a plan is put in place to ensure a range of skills are developed to enable them to increase their confidence and communicate to their full potential in all areas of life both inside and outside college.
Learners are supported individually or in groups using both high and low tech Augmentative Alternative Communication (AAC) systems to suit their needs and our experienced multidisciplinary approach means that there is ongoing support for students requiring AAC equipment.